Is my water safe to drink?

Beaumont-Cherry Valley Water District authors a yearly report on the status of our water quality.  To read the most recent report (or access past reports) click here.

My water is milky and white in appearance, what should I do?

Water is generally milky or white in appearance due to bubbles in the water.  A quick test is to fill a glass with water and let it sit on the counter for a minute or two.  Bubbles will rise to the top of the water or particles will settle to the bottom of the glass.  If you suspect particles in the water, please request a water quality investigation by calling the District office.

I am concerned because my water is colored, rusty, or contains foreign particles, what should I do?

If there has been recent construction in your area, the construction may have released rust from pipes.  Run the tap until the water clears.  It should clear up after several minutes.  If you have just returned from vacation, the water may have become stagnant.  Runt the tap until the water clears.  It should clear up fairly quickly.  If you have a home water softener or carbon filter home water treatment device, it is possible that they have malfunctioned.  Follow the manufactures maintenance instructions.  If you believe the problem is from our water supply, please call the District and we will assist with investigating your issue further.

Category: Water Quality

Who do I contact if I have questions about my bill?

Customers with concerns or questions about their bill should contact the District office at (951) 845-9581, and discuss it with a customer service representative.

While I am on vacation, what should I do about paying my water bill?

The District provides several ways for our customers to pay your water bill.  You have the option to pay your bill over the phone using a debit / credit card, or you can schedule a payment using our auto pay solution.  If you encounter an issue paying your water bill while away from your property, please contact us via phone and a customer service representative will assist you.

Where is my water meter and how do I read it?

Most water meters are located in the front of your property at either the property line or street.  The District uses a “speedometer” type meter that works like the odometer in your car, except that it records the cubit feet of water instead of miles traveled.  The series of numbers on the odometer reflects your water consumption in units of 100 cubic feet (100 cubic feet = 748 gallons of water).  Read the numbers left to right, but do not include the last two numbers on the far right.  For example, if last months reading of 004500 units is subtracted from this months reading of 006500, then 2000 cubic feet of water has been registered.  This in turn equates to 20 units of billable usage.  This is what would be reflected on your bill.

What happens if I feel I have been over-billed?

If you receive a bill, which is unusually high, you may have a water leak.  If you suspect a water leak, there are some things you can do to confirm this.  Read your water meter – Use your water meter to check for leaks in your home.  Start by turning off all faucets and water using appliances.  Make sure nobody uses water during the test.  Take a reading on your meter, wait about 30 min, then take a second reading.  If the dial has moved, you have a leak.  Is the leak inside or outside of your home?  Turn off your house valve (emergency shutoff valve) and repeat the the above process.  If the dial has moved, the leak is between the meter and your home, otherwise your leak is inside your home or in the pipes under your home.

  • Check for toilets that run.  The most common source of leaks is in the toilet.  Check all toilets for leaks by placing a few drops of food coloring in the tank.  If after one hour the dye shows up in the bowl, the toilet has a leak.
  • Check for leaky faucets.  The next place to check for leaks s your sink and bathtub faucets.  one drop of water per second will waste 2,700 gallons of water per year!  Replacing the rubber o-ring or washer inside the valve can usually repair dripping faucets

If you have taken the above steps to detect and correct the water leak and your consumption continues to increase, please call the District at (951) 845-9581, to speak with a customer service representative.

Category: Billing FAQ's